Thursday, March 10, 2011

Some Reflections

Who knows if it was my mood, what i ate or didn't eat, the fact that I went to work and felt anxious, the aggressive drunken man who almost punched a lady on the bus on my way to yoga, or that I miss my sweetheart and am just tired from another week of yoga, but DAMN! the humidity/heat was a force to be reckoned with today.

It was painful to stay in the room! In the second part I had to imagine I was lying on the surf in Australia and a huge (but gentle) cooling wave would wash over me and drag all the heat and toxins away. I also tried to trick my body into feeling how you feel when you are super hot and get cold water splashed on you. That shock. That is how I survived, remembering better times.

Boy, I'll tell you, my inner monologue was a DOWNER! I tried to switch it up but that heat was oppressive. I do notice things starting to change in my body though and in honor of that, and because I have felt tired the past two days and like talking about the specifics of my practice might be boring I thought I'd try something else -- the things that come to me while practicing I wish I could blog from my head in the room to hear, that would be so much easier than trying to remember fleeting, but simultaneously all-consuming thoughts.

Am I the only one drenched by the end of the first set in prana yama?

If I let my head fall back it will break off, my arms do NOT want to touch that back wall or be anywhere near my head.

Happy smiling face ok, but it's hard to keep my eyes open against my shins when my legs have become aquaducts to deliver sweat straight into my awaiting eyeballs which are only looking into the brick wall of my leg anyway

Bonus of getting a pedicure before class, my legs twist like super lubed ropes from the moisturizer left on my legs, and luckily not too bad for grip in Standing Bow

The girl behind me brought a venti Starbucks tea into class. I thought that was hard core, she had glowy skin and zero fat, so I just assumed that must be the next level of hardcore -- hot tea in bikram

Am I accidentally spraying the woman next to me with sweat from my hair when I spin around?

What did one butt cheek say to the other?
I don't see you round that much.
Holy leg, ass, AND spine strengthening

Is anyone else getting coarse skin/callouses? on the top of the foot from the floor? Its almost scabbing, maybe it did scab and I am just in the hot room so much it has no time to harden so it just withers right off. This is what I mean...



I went to see Dr. Divi Chandna for the initial data for my experiment. After 7 classes, I have already lost 8 pounds, so my start weight is written a bit lower than it REALLY was at the start but -- woo hoo!

Also, at the encouragement (both verbal and financial) of my sweetheart, I bought my first "yoga gear", so that I feel good about how I am looking instead of feeling like I am on social assistance in my old underwear. It's cute and it dries super fast. More to come and by the end of the first month -- photos.

I also got a pedicure to match my new outfit (see toes above) which was a total splurge but I thought I spend a lot of time looking at my feet. I thought for hygiene reasons they give you the bottle nowadays but they didn't.

Maybe I don't feel quenched by the water I drink right after class because the filtered water is so cold...my stomach gets stomach freeze and is numb to it, but room temperature water might feel nicer. Sometimes I worry about brain freeze.


Tomorrow, last day of Yoga Week Two
And I thought I'd leave with this amazing gem, as I think it speaks a bit to this journey I'm on.

WATCH ME!

3 comments:

  1. If the water doesn't seem to be quenching your thirst... make sure it is not because you are missing electrolytes. Sometimes, we aren't just thirsty for water... I found out in Vancouver the water is de-mineralized so adding sea salt to your diet/ buying drops for your water especially during your challenge is good and necessary. I like reading your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I am taking at least one Emergen-C electrolyte pack a day and drinking coconut water when I can afford it, plus sea salt is the only salt I have -- though it probably wouldn't hurt to up my electrolytes even more and see what difference that makes! (I am a PROFUSE sweater!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I read that your hair sweat is quite possibly spraying onto the woman next to you, I pictured Flash Dance....a magnitude of moisture. That’s sexy sweat, my friend.

    ReplyDelete