Tuesday, March 15, 2011

My Achilles Heel

Friday's class was awesome. Hard, but good -- and I love Gabe's instruction and general class vibe. It was a high note to end the week in the hot room, but I noticed the definitive start of a teeny tiny put sharp, zingy ouch pull on my left outer calf especially in hands to feet postures, or at the end of sit ups.

And then suddenly over the weekend it was as though my achilles tendon exploded!
It is tight and achy all the way up into my calf, the side of my thigh and into my hips and my bum where it attaches to my sacrum.
Blast!

It's funny how the body puts up a fight when you start trying to move it again.
I rested it all weekend

The start of this week I have been practicing at the brand-new (like mere months old) Bikram Sea to Sky studio which has yet another kind of flooring that's kind of like carpet but way more space aged and the smell of newly installed carpet and paint.

The room doesn't feel quite as hot and I can't tell yet if that's because I am hydrating and getting used to the heat, or because at 7-9 bodies a class (I told you it's brand new!) there just aren't as many people making heat waves for 1.5 of every 1.75 hours.

A gal named Jenna runs the studio, and her mom works behind the counter (and sneaks into class midway through Pranayama in order to get her own practice in -- way to go!). Jenna tells me she has one other teacher, and is looking for more -- she got her start at the Kits Bikram and speaks fondly of it. Also, she has a 3.5 year old daughter who is adorable and toddles around the studio (not the hot-room though!)

Other than my blasted left leg, which I have done my best to honour, while keeping the truest expression of the posture that I can, I have had a wonderful strong start to the week.

I think KNOWING that you WILL go to 5 classes a week come hell or high water takes some stress and anxiety about guilting yourself into going or feeling that guilt if you're not. Also, you can tune into your body better -- you have days and days to work those little millimetres, if I don't get it today I get to try again tomorrow already. It's surprisingly liberating, and makes yoga a lot more enjoyable when you don't have to destroy your whole self in an over-done kind of way because you're only coming once or twice a week.

The flexibility is coming and both my Bows (Beaus!) are starting to please me.
It has also been nice to be able to practice next to my sweetheart, who is the reason I got into Bikram's in the first place.
I have noticed, too, that keeping my breath slow, long, and deep is getting easier and easier, and that I am less red, less sweaty and far less desperate feeling at the end of class.

I think I am just now starting to get into "Gas Station" mode, where I feel mostly energized and only slightly exhausted at the end -- so much so that I considered doing a double tomorrow for the first time until my fellow convinced me not to until my left leg is feeling better.

Ice it is then!

No comments:

Post a Comment