Monday, April 4, 2011

Start of Month Two

Last week was awful. Really brutal for a while. I was working, and had another job interview (I got it), so nw I have two part time jobs and yoga. I was pleading the universe for some kind second mortgage, a refilling of my Prana -- I took a few baths at the suggestion of my tantric healer, and still I was just drained.
The beauty of Thursday's class was looking out the skylight during Savasana, watching the clouds go by.
Still the work was hard, and I had to sit out a lot with just no energy to move.
Then Friday, AT LAST, something switched in my head. I drove to yoga with a car full of ...well, everything. I was moving on Friday, April 1st, from my little basement suite on Main and 23rd, to a big sunny place on MacDonald and 10th, literally 2 and a half blocks from Bikram Kitsilano. I was listening to the radio on the way, and just as I rounded the corner from King Edward onto MacDonald, the Peak (100.5 fm) started to play a new song by the Black Keys. I have long been a music lover, and for the past few years my music collections, have been left in moves, dwindled, and simply not been replenished with access to new music.
The Black Keys song (I have yet to look up the title) was excellent, and just what I needed to hear.
It reminded me of working out to music and then I kind of laughed to myself that what Bikram's is missing is a really kick ass sountrack. After some musing I came to the conclusion that there IS a soundtrack to Bikram's and I just had to start hearing the rhythm of it, and the music, rather than the labour. Something about this whole situation gave me joy and I decided that I would have a great class -- that I wouldn't go in dreading it because I would be kind to what my body wanted, and what my energy could do.

 Apparently that was the ticket because I had a fabulous class. I stayed with my breath the whole time, and even though it was still a workout, I worked on my relaxation, my zen, and my peaceful smiling face without forcing my body into pain, panic, or negative thoughts.

Between my desire for music, and my new teacher (I'd never had him before and I don't know his name yet, as the Schedule said Gabe was taking the class, but this was not Gabe), I was able to hear the monologue as the chanting it may well have been in the land it came from, and it became music. Not rock and roll, but music none the less.

Yes, I may have worked too hard on Locking The Knee at all times (I am really trying to focus on my strong lampposts!), as some little muscles feel sproinged from my fourth toe (ring toe?) all the way up into my butt.

Since 30 days is up I have taken my blood pressure and need to find a scale to weigh myself, my blood pressure has already dropped, which is crazy since I had low blood pressure anyway, but more impressive is my resting heart rate. Normally anywhere from 66-72, my pulse was at 54. Woah.

So it's Monday, and here's hoping I can keep up this streak, at least for a while, until my body craves more of a push.

No comments:

Post a Comment