Monday, May 16, 2011

Yoga Etiquette

OK! okay, I know, it's been a bazillion years since I've posted any sort of blog entry. Why is that? Because yoga is really friggin' hard. It has gotten harder, somehow, with the passing of time. Whether it's from little injuries that come up, or because I expect faster progress than I get, or because I work two jobs as well and feel tired most of the time, or because I'm under/over hydrating, under/over eating, or getting too many or too little electrolytes (geez, I dunno) -- whatever it is class is HARD. So hard it's a struggle to go. Oh I've been going (yes, so I do have two 4 day weeks that I have to make up for in the next, what, 10 days -- meaning either no days off of two days of doubles), but it has been such a challenge (funny that) that the thought of thinking about yoga or doing any more yoga related work has been met with such resistance that I haven't even opened my laptop for ANYTHING. (This is perhaps exacerbated by the fact that my laptop has both physical and mental disabilities and requires its own ritual yoga to get working every time I turn it on [wiggle the adapter, press this button, then this button, change the date and time, close this program and that program and click that option, 20 second savasana and then good to go but don't you dare move that cable!]-- which is every time I use it)

Today, after a full day off work, and a full day of putting off yoga (I even got my bicycle back in working order so I can ride to work downtown tomorrow at 5am! yuck!) and feeling warm, bloating menstrual cramps (it seems I only blog on my period...hmm) I went to Jacob's 7:45pm class in kits. I love having Jacob and today after a few weeks of not one single good/easier class, even though the class was really humid and I had cramps,I had a good class that didn't just beat me into a pulp.

So I thought I could write. But I had to trick myself into it by talking about something that I think about every time I am in the studio and every time I do yoga.
(Also)
Last week while having my Friday cinnamon bun and coffee at Sollys (loosing weight schmoosing weight), I read an article in the free transit paper where the contributing writer had recently gone on a plane trip and then decided to write an article about basic plane etiquette in 10 points. I laughed while reading it because it actually made me say out loud "this girl needs more yoga" -- one of them being "we both know your knee is touching my knee so don't pretend you don't know, just move your knee". Um
(Also)
I often think about etiquette. I work at a fancy private club, where every place setting gets 3 forks and etc., and think sometimes that etiquette like that is neat -- but also I often think it's stuffy rules-for-rules-sake, to be exclusive rather than considerate. My mom bought me an Emily Post's Everyday Etiquette book once for Christmas - that's neither here nor there.

Here's what I think the 10 *considerate* rules of Bikram Yoga etiquette should be. FEel free to agree or disagree as you see fit.

1. a) If you are marching into the yoga room before class after the first stream of people have exited, yield to the other people coming out of the class. Remember the way you felt after your worst class, and then imagine trying to do anything but slowly amble your way back to the change room, never mind dodging, waiting, or holding heavy doors open for people who still have all their faculties intact.
    b) If you are coming out of the hot room after a class, forgive the people on their way in. They haven't had 90-minutes on themselves to focus and regain their peace, and their minds are all over the place.

2. a) When you put down your towel keep a few things in mind: Can the person/people behind you still see themselves? How much space has the person next to you given themselves between the person he/she is next to (probably a decent gauge of their personal space needs)? A trick I've learned is to find a really sweaty person in Savasana, put your mat right behind him/her-- because that  person is going to get up and leave you his/her place in the mirror (rather than you standing at someone's feet pouring your space-coveting energy into his/her final savasana). Also, when you need to trespass into someone's mirror spot/personal space, it is always easier to just ask if it's cool -- people are pretty friendly and understanding if you give them the gratitude of asking their permission.
   b) If someone gets into your space in the mirror or goes closer to you than you would like on the floor forgive them (in your head), then let it go, and remember that this too is part of the peace you are seeking in
yoga.

3. a) Don't walk over people in savasana on your way into/out of the room. It's distracting for people trying to take their last savasana and it's definitely noticeable.
   b) If someone walks over you/drips sweat on you while you're on your mat, let it go. You're in savasana anyway, and letting distractions fall away is your job. Plus a drop of someone else's sweat will not hurt you. Really. It might give you the heebies, but it won't HURT

4. a) I know you like your friend/partner/neighbour/stranger. But talk to each other outside of the yoga room. This means you.
   b) If people are talking in the yoga room, let it go. This is part of the peace you are seeking in yoga. Your meditation is stronger than that.

5. a) Don't begrudge other people their flexibility/strength/balance/locked knees. You are a beautiful strong yogi just for trying again and again.
    b) Remember you are here to kill yourSELF (ie. your EGO) you're not here to kill your BODY (you're here to learn to love it and love your spirit)

6. a) Don't loudly/violently/apparently give up and take a drink (especially in the balancing parts), this is not only hard on everyone else's concentration, but also really hard on their will and determination. [I had a gal next to me --way closer than I could handle -- once sit down in the middle of toe stand, and proceed to noisily open her metal water bottle and drink/bathe herself]
    b) If the people around you fall out/give up/do weird or distracting things use that opportunity to strengthen your concentration on yourself. Then LET IT GO. This is part of the peace you are seeking in yoga.

7. a) Don't fight with the teacher. It usually means the rest of us have to stay in the posture longer and will begrudge you.
    b)Teacher's don't know everything that's going on with you. Listen to them, and do what you can. Know that you are doing your best when you are doing your best. Leave the rest alone.

8. Don't wear perfume, cologne, smoke cigarettes or apply fragrance of whatever kind to your person if you're going to yoga. Once I had on lotion and not only did it make some postures downright impossible (wind-removing!) but I felt like a total jerk the second I realized I could smell it as soon as I started sweating. Sorry everyone!

9. (I don't know how the men's changerooms are but...)
a) When you are taking a shower. Really, people are usually waiting. Do you need to use 3 stages of deep conditioning and body wash and whatever else takes the hundred years you spend in the showers? Couldn't you save that stuff for home and just do a quick rinse/wash at yoga? It's just sweat, and if you're coming lost, it's probably not all that dirty anymore anyway.
b)When you're getting changed, recognize you might be right in front of someone's stuff and they are waiting on you to get changed, too.

10. This practice is your own. It is also everyone else's. Consider what you need and extend that to others. Forgive the things that piss you off when others seem inconsiderate. Smile at each other. Share the struggle. Make friends."Namaste" is about acknowledging the divinity in everyone. Including yourself.

That's it.
Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment